Tuesday, September 13, 2011

so I do actually exist

I figure I better post a painting I was working on in the summer. It isn't finished yet, but since we're getting into the swing of our thesis films now I don't expect much time to nitpick in the near future.

Smerdyakov is the most frustratingly unknowable character in Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov. Every other character in the novel unfolds psychologically before you in such a remarkably believable and fascinatingly human way, and then there's this gap where Smerdyakov is working unknown things in the dark in his head and Dostoevsky never fills it in. He's an attractively repellant character to me and it really got to me that he never explains his actions in the novel--which is the whole point, I think. So here's some Russian Lit fanart of a real twisted, morally despicable coward wooing a lady with his guitar skills, I guess.

Also I do lots of art, I'll post more of it sometime.

2 comments:

kyle fitz-henry said...

jeez dubadah this is a really solid painting! the dude seems like some kind of rebel without a cause

Lucie Roberts said...

Your Visual Development work is just as amazing and inspiring as you animation!!! Awesome work! :D